First I placed some green painters tape (from Bunnings) on the page, this will act as a resist to all the next layers. Then I finger painted in fluro pink, yellow, aqua and light blue. Then using white, blue and rose red I stencilled all over.
Then I made a mask in the shape of a daisy, out of old X-ray film which I painted on the pages using a mini blending tool and a mix of Dylusions 'cherry pie' and white.
Finally, I removed the tape, revealing the plain (and stamped) surface of the page before the painty layers. These areas can be used for doodling or journaling on.
Step 1. I choose a double page spread, one of the pages had some paint already spread on it. Using yellow, light blue and pink I finger painted over both pages.
Step 2. I stamped with art foamies and waterproof archival inks. I like stamping with waterproof ink so that it doesn't run when later layers are added.
Step 3. Using Dylusions white paint and stencils I applied some design over both pages using a mini blending tool, and a little more paint I blended over other areas with the tool only.
Step 4 I painted a scalloped edge and some circles in blue paint. Lines and song lyrics were scribbled over the page in black Sharpie and Uniball signo white gel pen. I used Matt Medium to glue down some collage elements, made from gelli prints.
Finally I added some highlights with Reeves gold and silver acrylic using my fingertips
My lovely students explored tone, circles, mark making and a harmonious colour scheme today. We used Canson acrylic paper as our substrate, liquitex basics, Dylusions paint, Daler Rowney ink and Posca paint pens.
Our painting today was on artist board instead of canvas.
It's a nice firm, smooth substrate to work on.
We gessoed then finger painted. Stencilled and rubbed back, developing rich visual and patterned texture. We sought inspiration from floral shapes and lines, then painted and blotted. Line work to finish.
Monday night art class, and we talked about layers. Layers of paint and papers. In this piece students were free to paint the background in whatever colours they desired in what ever way they preferred. Next we collaged with gelli prints that we printed the week before.
We then experimented with plastic bag monoprints and finally some posca paint pen lines to lighten up the composition.
we experimented with paint, collage, gelli and plastic bag printing today.
Check out my Facebook page and see what I have been up to today 😀
I am an artist and teacher and I love to share what I know and what I learn. I was previously a high school art teacher, now I enjoy art journaling, mixed media, pottery, painting and teaching adults from my home studio.